North Star Journey #1 : WELCOME

I've been in Minnesota for three weeks now since I first arrived on August 25th. How has it been? Well, it's been quite a roller-coaster of emotions. I'm still in the process of adapting to my new surroundings. Before I moved here, I had a lot of concerns swirling around in my head - thoughts about the weather, the people, academic life, food, racism, Islamophobia, and more.

Fortunately, I have some wonderful friends here who have helped me tremendously during this transition. I vividly remember my arrival at the airport when Mas Jason, an Indonesian student from Makassar, picked me up and arranged my stay at the Marquette Hotel, a subsidiary of Hilton. It was so fancy that you can probably guess the price! Haha, but Mas Jason managed to get me a great deal through the Agoda app with a significant discount. Long story short, I spent two days there with another LPDP awardee from Maluku before moving to Budhe Tri's house in St. Paul.

At Budhe Tri's house, I met Luna and Endah, Fulbright awardees. I felt comfortable there because it's a house in a friendly neighborhood, surrounded by lush greenery. I absolutely love it. I get to see wild squirrels and rabbits every day, and I've learned why the University of Minnesota's mascot is Goldy - Minnesota is teeming with squirrels, and you can spot them all around.

Many of my worries from before I moved here have gradually faded away (except for academic concerns, of course). I adore Minnesota's environment, at least until September. I haven't experienced the winter season yet, haha. So my worry about weather haven't proved yet.lol. The lush greenery, efficient public transportation, pedestrian-friendly streets, orderly queues, friendly locals, supportive peer groups, and excellent public facilities all contribute to a positive experience. Not to mention my apartment at GrandMarc Seven Corners. While it's a bit pricey, at around $600, it comes fully furnished and offers some fantastic amenities for residents, including a study room and a fitness center. However, I must admit that I still have concerns about the crime rate here. I continue to read news about crimes, including assaults and shootings. Just last week, there was an incident where an unidentified person shot at a university bus (Gopher bus) during the night. We receive updates on all the news through our university email's SafeU News.

On a brighter note, Minnesota is also remarkably disability-friendly. The buses here are equipped with great facilities for physically disabled individuals, including automatic ramps. Public facilities cater to the needs of disabled individuals, promoting independence. And not to forget the outstanding healthcare facilities - Minnesota boasts some of the best healthcare facilities in the United States. 

Well, let us see what will happen next.


See ya on my next stories.


Best,

Susan










Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

pelajaran dari novel "diorama sepasang AlBnna"

Sepintas Gender, Menilik Patriarki